Thursday, August 23, 2018

Inner Blocks Complete

I finished quilting all 16 blocks of the album quilt today. While that is a momentous step there are still the four very elaborate borders to go. I have gone through over 600 yards of quilting thread so far. These days that doesn't even sound like much since machine quilters use many times more than that, but it is still a great deal of thread. My new favorite hand quilting thread is YLI pure cotton thread from Japan. Very silky feel and doesn't split when threading the needles.

Just to remind you what the 16 blocks look like I have added a picture that I have shown before. I still think I will be done by Christmas and with any luck even before that.


2 comments:

  1. You have much more patience and healthy hands than I do. Just sayin. This album quilt is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am lucky not to have arthritis, that's for sure. My husband had a bone removed from his left thumb because of arthritis. But I have had two surgeries on my left hand because I snapped my ulnar collateral ligament, and then snapped the repaired ligament so had to have a tendon harvested from my wrist. That repair is also pretty much destroyed so my hand does give me fits but short of an amputation or flesh eating bacteria I am a determined hand sewer.

    ReplyDelete