Monday, June 2, 2014

Trapunto and Quilting Coming Along

If you machine quilt you won't understand what I am describing, but here is the quilt in progress. The center trapunto section is nearly done with only the upper left corner in this photo unquilted. Each of the smaller squares is about six inches on a side and takes about four hours to quilt by hand. I have started on the outer floral border as well, with outline quilting around each element and random stippling in the black background. The flowers and leaves have quilting to emphasize them, too.

Above are two views of the back of the quilt. The upper one shows a corner and some of the quilting in the black border. The lower one is the entire piece as quilted so far. This is going to be very dense when it is complete but progress is pretty slow since the stippling and the details take a long time. You can tell from the front that I am not a stickler for exact mirror images. Perhaps if I made a quilt where duplication exactly was important I would pay more attention but most bouquets I have seen are not identical twins so none of my baskets are identical either. I cannot tell as yet if the motifs are stuffed enough. If they need a little more then I will work some yarn in from the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment