Friday, June 13, 2014

Spring Splendor Complete (With Picture)

Yesterday I finished my current project. As usual I learned a great deal about various things, some of which I expected to learn and others that were a surprise. As you can see in the photo, the trapunto elements turned out well for the most part--the upper right square doesn't have the "puff" that it should but the design on the square is very small consisting of one leaf and some vines. I might try working some yarn in through the back or I may just leave it. The colors are pleasing to me and the basic idea is all right but overall there is something just slightly off about the applique. I still like it but there is a stiffness that I did not intend.

The fabrics are primarily batiks, the natural variations in the dye colors work well for flowers and leaves, with some solids and small printed fabrics added here and there. The small white flowers are dimensional, gathered at the bottom and puffy toward the top. The quilt is about 34 inches by 42 inches. If you compare the finished quilt to the first photos posted during the layering process, you can see that all the quilting made it hang very nicely, straight as a board.

No comments:

Post a Comment