Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Sometimes It's Fun, Sometimes It Isn't

I have been enjoying working on the outside border of the first gift quilt. While I liked Sue Garman's original quilt, I needed it to be larger. Plus, after I received the pattern, I decided that this must have been one of her first commercial ventures because the patterns and instructions are very different from her later designs. The Washingtonian clearly relied on the pattern purchaser having some clue about making applique, marking fabric, insuring if not symmetry at least appropriate balance. But I have been making quilts for a long time. So I have added a Mariner's Compass to a corner, switched from her vine to one I had previously drawn out for a continuous and sinuous movement from center to corner and have begun adding leaves more randomly than her deliberately symmetrical style. I have also allowed some leaves to intrude on the interior and exterior borders.

My further plan, besides the Mariner's Compass to symbolize her journeys, is to add two lovebirds to the bottom corners. I didn't really know what lovebirds looked like but I looked them up online and found that most of them are the same colors as the primary colors of this quilt--two different greens, a red, and a yellow.

Speaking of birds--one of the more fascinating aspects of living in Pennsylvania is the vast variety of birds. All kinds of birds from shore birds to woodland birds to meadow birds. Just yesterday my husband and I saw an Eastern Goldfinch in our neighborhood and most days we see a variety of raptors--hawks, owls, etc. We also see foxes, rabbits, deer, and other wildlife right outside the door. And much to my husband's and my delight (he grew up entirely on the East Coast and I spent time here as a kid), there are still lightning bugs galore in season.

But, back to the complaints from random folk--I don't usually visit other people's blogs but I have done so occasionally. They talk about their grandchildren or children, about their travels, about recipes, etc., and as far as I know no one complains about that. No one ever complained when I posted recipes or photos of our travels, but the whiners come out when it is politics. What? Women aren't allowed to be concerned about the direction their country is taking? Women aren't allowed to know anything about economics or foreign affairs? Women don't care about any of that? I call BS on the naysayers. I am an old woman and from my point of view women are the ones who care--men only think of adventure, whether it is war or sex.

And while I am on that topic, Duncan Hunter's trial is coming closer and closer. The delightful part of his pre-trial motions, or rather his attorneys' pre-trial motions, is that they appear to be as dumb as he is. His attorneys are asking for a change of venue because they believe that his trial is being held in a district predisposed to dislike him because of his politics. In the written request to the court, the attorneys pointed out that Hunter was..." President Trump’s first and most arduous supporter...". As one of my favorite movies and writers puts it, "I don't think that means what you think it means."   Okay ladies, I don't care if you are R or D but this scumbag used campaign funds to cheat on his wife and then blamed it all on his wife. There are already people who are claiming he suffers from PTSD and therefore deserves our sympathy.

This is "Trump's first and most arduous supporter."

If you like what Trump and his minions are doing, you deserve what you get.     

1 comment:

  1. I so appreciate your posts and wish more women would speak up. That Duncan Hunter trial is disgusting and I have no clue why he was reelected.

    ReplyDelete