Sunday, October 22, 2017

Curious

The newest AQS magazine arrived while I was out of the country. I was quite surprised when I opened it up to see what looked to me like a cardinal pattern that Jodi Warner drew a couple of decades ago on page 68. The article isn't very clear on just who claims to have drawn this bird but the pattern on page 72 shows a copyright for Keri Duke,  "...only quilt and applique patternmaker for Charley Harper...designs." I got the original pattern as a freebie at a quilt contest back in the early 90's from Jodi Warner herself. It was part of a Christmas stocking pattern back then.

While the pattern is still very cute, as it was twenty years ago, I find it curious that AQS even has a note on the pattern to respect copyright laws though this pattern is practically a duplicate rather than  something new and different. All of us need to credit the original artist, and copyright protection lasts a very long time, even after the death of the artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment