Sunday, June 5, 2016

Spring Complete


It turns out there is good news and bad news about the alpaca batting. I am fairly used to batting bearding, especially visible on darker quilts, but this batting sheds like an elk in spring. I tried several different methods to get rid of the longest, most obtrusive fibers, then finally used my cat brush but if you look at the quilt up close the hairiness is very apparent. That's all right (though not welcome) since I don't enter shows or anything.

For some reason, my cat Max likes this quilt best of all the ones I have made in his five years of life. He played under it, he played on top of it, he tried to sit in the hoop as I was quilting. Cats typically like quilts but this was beyond the norm so the label I made features a paper pieced cat in his honor. 


I would like to to thank Barbara Brackman and Ilyse Moore whose design for the Garden Quilt was the primary inspiration. I changed it from a center medallion to a corner focused design and added several other elements while dropping many as well. The original design was very nice but too large and too formal for my interests and I have made so many quilts with grapes that I thought wisteria would be better. I clearly changed the color direction as well from a dark background with pastel flowers to the bright spectrum that I finished with (once again that yellow fling from a while ago). There are numerous other differences but the similarity is still apparent.




The area that looks a little like a fingerprint in the photo above is just a spot that is still damp from getting rid of the blue ink.  Please let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment