Thursday, February 27, 2020

Ignorance Exposed

I will start by writing about my newest quilting project. I am making a feathered star quilt with applique borders from fabric that I have had for years. Or at least the colored fabrics are ones I have had for years while the background fabric and the red are new fabrics. I got the red when I went to Burlington, NJ, to Olde City Quilts. It was such a great red fabric that I bought a few yards. The neutral background is from Hancock's online service--great fabrics and great customer service online. 

But the other fabrics are all a minimum of ten years old and some are way older than that. Certain colors tend to be cyclical so you might see them everywhere in quilts and stores but then they disappear. If it's good quality fabric and you like the color you can lay some away in appropriate containers and revisit them. Of course I am not by any stretch of the imagination a modern quilter, preferring to hand quilt and hand applique even if I do use machine sewing for complicated patterns like a feathered star. The very idea of using glue to make a quilt unless it is to make smaller batting pieces into larger batting pieces leaves me cold. I did make one "glued" quilt for my daughter-in-law but that was because she is a horse aficionado who owns two horses and has horse art everywhere. So I made a fusible fabric collage type quilt of a horse for her that is somewhere on this blog but it sure didn't satisfy the quilter in me.

So my four star centered quilt will have appliqued sides and then a pieced border beyond that. The fabrics are all sort of Christmas themed but it's the colors not the design on the fabric that matters for me.

As for other topics--besides the obvious observation that Trump lies without provocation or reason even when he knows his lies will be exposed--the novel coronavirus is a problem that lying won't fix. It's a problem that tariffs and blocks won't fix. Putting Mike Pence in charge because Trump says that Pence is an expert is beyond laughable. Pence's reaction to a spike in HIV cases in Indiana when he was governor was not to provide free condoms or clean needles but to tell everyone that "...the only safe sex is no sex."

Trump is uneducated and uneducatable. He doesn't read, he doesn't listen, he doesn't ponder. He is a chubby two year old in a fat 70 plus year old body. To blame Democrats for the spread of the coronavirus is beyond reprehensible. Even thinking of Trump in charge of an emergency response to a complex problem gives me pause. Any drop in stocks and markets is not just because of the supply chain but because other market watchers are just as appalled as I.

No comments:

Post a Comment