Sunday, March 17, 2019

Happy St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick wasn't Irish and he was never canonized by the Roman Catholic church, but today is the day to be proud of my heritage, or at least that portion that is Irish. Many of my mother's maternal ancestors were Irish, both of her maternal grandfather's parents, though born in the US, were from County Cavan families. I don't know where the Batterbury side, her maternal grandmother's side, came from but the Lynch and Reilly group were from County Cavan. Given the difficulties with Brexit now, it is a time for some reflection on just how much Henry II damaged Ireland to make up for killing Thomas Becket, damage deepened and extended by Cromwell.

This is worthy of modern reflection given the propensity of modern leaders to invade countries, to take children from their parents, to assert primacy over other peoples and other cultures. The wounds in Ireland persist and they certainly aren't just from The Troubles. None of us has the answer to life. None of us should be allowed to declare that we do. While treating others as I would like to be treated is my fallback position, it isn't always received well as nearly everyone I meet says I am too honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment