Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Pix of New Project

My husband has two more days of his IMRT which is cause for celebration. There are no guarantees of anything in life but we have every expectation that his prognosis will be good. His brother had a more rare, more aggressive type of prostate cancer, plus he lived on the big island in Hawaii where the health care is spotty at best, especially if one is not a rich tourist. Even rich tourists have to go to Oahu to get any kind of advanced treatment. I'm not pointing fingers at rich tourists but rather pointing out that the choices made in life can have unexpected consequences. So learning how to surf and dropping out of college to go to Hawaii didn't lead to fame or fortune for my husband's brother but he chose that life and from all indicators was happy with the choice until it killed him. He loved making ukeleles, surfing, and taking care of his mother and wife and two kids.

My husband's path was different and his prostate cancer is different as well. We know that because if he had the kind his brother had he would already have died. The radiation therapy has advanced to the point where there are very few side effects. We won't know more until July when he gets his psa checked again. If it is back to low, then all signs are positive. Fingers crossed all the way around.

I have been working on the Wheel of Fortune quilt. There are a number of blocks with that name and the one I am using is not as complicated as some, but it still has its moments of problems. Making a quilt like this is great fun for someone such as I who has a fabric stash that stretches over decades and styles. I am trying to use some of the older pieces but I don't have any particular plan. These are still loose, unpressed blocks (except for the seam pressing as they are sewn), and probably won't end up in this order.

 Right now the plan is to make 15 blocks but I might make more and I might make fewer. 15 makes a twin sized quilt and I don't have any twin sized beds or any grandchildren. So it might end up being 24 blocks to finish at a double/queen sized quilt.  

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen this pattern before. It is interesting and does look very challenging. I think it will make an interesting twin or bigger size quilt with all the interesting fabric you use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a variation of Grandmother's Fan. When I first started quilting I was very cautious with colors and mixing prints but now I work with abandon most of the time. My tastes and the times have changed.

    ReplyDelete