Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Bucket Lists (Do You Have One?)

Several years ago, my previous primary care doctor said that in her experience, men don't have bucket lists. I don't agree or disagree with that statement as a rule, but certainly the men in my life don't have bucket lists. I told my husband a long time ago that I didn't want to die without .... So my list had items such as walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, seeing the Cliffs of Moher, seeing Hagia Sofia. I have lived a pretty charmed life so the items that require trips have been moving forward. My husband, whose undergraduate degree was called Architectural Science (that involved no science as far as I can tell and precious little architecture), enjoys going with me to see famous buildings or bridges, a particular favorite of mine. I mean some of those bridges are still used nearly 1000 years later. We walked across the oldest bridge in France that is still in daily use a few years ago and the engineering of the original bridge is a marvel. Even some of my tutees, after I described bridges and flooding engineering in Toulouse and showed them the photos we had, were amazed and delighted.

Anyway, what's on your bucket list? My husband always tells people that I have plans and he follows me. That's demonstrably untrue, but he certainly follows my wanderlust now that he is retired.

No comments:

Post a Comment