Sunday, November 9, 2014

Long Way Around

A common complaint of high school students about math is that they will never use that information in the future. I think about that many times when making quilts because there are often times when my high school math comes in handy. Right now I am working working on the circumference of a circle with a diameter of 20.5 inches and of a circle with a diameter of 23.5 inches. Practically speaking, making a quilt that grows by ever expanding circles is very different from one that grows by squares or rectangles or rows. I understand why these quilts are less common since the very nature of laying out the pieces is more difficult. 

So far I have the center, one white circle, one pieced circle, second white circle. Each addition makes the whole 2PiR numbers change, of course, and it gets longer and longer around. I don't sew circular seams with a machine unless I am making clothing so I guarantee you it is a long way around. I am about a third done with the next pieced ring using colors that were pretty common in about 1880-- bright yellows, pinks, greens, royal blues. When I finish this pieced ring and sew it to the existing assembly I will post a picture. Until then it is "round and round and round she goes...."  A circle with a radius of 18 inches at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment