Thursday, January 9, 2014

Working on Those Winding Ways

My husband came back from his business trip to LA with a horrendous cold. He did get a flu shot in September so I hesitate to call it the flu but he is very congested, achy, and feverish, up all night coughing. That means I was up all night too, including out of bed at 3: 30. Oh well, forty-four years of better and worse, sickness and health. It was a snowy day as well so staying inside and sewing is what I did until a few minutes ago when I shoveled snow. In any case, I made a bunch more small (4 inch) Winding Way blocks.

These are laid out on our dining room table, obviously not sewn together yet. The light does weird things to the colors so what looks like pink is either a brownish burgundy or a coral to orange, many of the backgrounds that look white are yellow, and there are no pale blues, just greens from olive to celadon. In this picture it is hard to see the color connection between the blocks. You get the idea but not the real flavor. I don't piece much unless I can do it with foundations so I am appliqueing all of these. It isn't as bad as it might seem if you enjoy applique which I do. There are 37 completed squares and I am aiming for 100 so just over one-third done. The crazy circles will show up when they get sewn together. That's one reason the alternate name for the Winding Way block is Magic Circle. They aren't as pronounced when there are value and pattern issues but they will still show up. My husband thinks this looks Japanese but I don't see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment