Friday, January 3, 2014

Try It, You'll Like It

Over the years I have mentored at least a dozen students, male and female, helping them reach their dreams. They have gone on to Stanford, Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Cal Tech and numerous other colleges. Of course the students who come to me are self-selecting since I don't charge any money and I don't advertise so they have to find me. Many of them are from immigrant families but by no means all. I just got a New Year's message from one of the young people from last year, the one who is currently a freshman at Harvard. Knowing that I helped make that possible is humbling but exhilarating.  That's why I want to encourage all of you to make yourselves available to young people in your neighborhoods. Maybe your skill is in math or science or computers, not language. Perhaps you have business contacts. Simply being an adult who is not the parent is often the helping hand needed.

I have begun my French fabric quilt. Of course the yardage I picked up in Dijon and Paris (see posts) is not going to be enough so I have added from my own stash. So far the plan is for the center to be small Winding Ways blocks (4") with one narrow border followed by a wider applique border. Since my husband, the semi-retired but not really retired guy, is in LA doing some consulting, I can't post any pictures. I don't use cameras. It's a long story, partly due to my very, very bad vision and partly to my distaste for technology. I am not a Luddite but I do lean in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment