Saturday, March 16, 2019

Newest Project Nearly Done

My youngest son is getting married in a couple of months. His betrothed is "front of the house" and he is "back of the house" which if you have ever been around restaurants will make sense. He is nearly 40 years old and she is early 30's so the occasion seems entirely different from young people going through the same routine. Neither of them have been married before. I have been working on a small quilt which started out as an entirely different project and then moved to what it is now that I am nearly done quilting it. I plan to give this to son and betrothed with the name "The Winding Road to a Long Marriage."

I started with a New York Beauty block with strong contrasting colors but I ended up dissatisfied with the results. Simultaneously my middle son was applying for a new job (he has a good job but he doesn't like the management) that required him to take a battery of psychological tests. As a side note to that, my husband's first job out of business school was for a company that was trying to grow and they had begun to take the advice of business consultants who told them to administer these tests. Just prior to my husband coming to interview, one of their candidates, one who had passed the tests with flying colors, had committed suicide, so by the time my husband arrived they weren't eager to rely on those tests. The company still uses the ideas and program my husband developed forty years ago, but now they are a national company with national aspirations.

My dissatisfaction with my blocks almost made me simply abandon them, but my husband reported that our son's tests showed that he was more likely to abandon a project than complete it. I have written frequently about not having UFOs around except for the blocks that I just finished, and I don't think I am given to defeat, but my son's test results did make me reconsider the blocks. My hesitation now has more to do with the clear idea that I have fewer and fewer years or months to finish a project.

So I am nearly done quilting this project. It certainly is not wonderful or exemplary, but I think I will send it to my youngest son and his betrothed as a wedding gift with the name, The Long and Winding Road of Marriage. I don't have any photos yet but I will soon.

BTW: Trump remains a moron and a dangerous moron to boot. Anyone who still thinks he is good for the economy or good for world peace or even good for a laugh just isn't paying attention.

BTWxII: My husband has two more weeks of radiation treatment for his prostate cancer. At this point we don't know whether it has made an impact on his tumors. After his IMRT he gets another hormone antagonist shot and then he gets another blood test to determine his PSA. If the IMRT was effective, his number will be lower than it has been in years and will stay low. I don't like doctors and I definitely don't like modern medicine, but the improvements in radiation therapy are apparent to me, who took my mother to her radiation treatment the summer after my freshman year in college. 

No comments:

Post a Comment