Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Sometimes I Am Right, Frequently Not

Goodness knows that I make mistakes every single day. Humans are genetically wired to follow patterns, to be stubborn, to simply make mistakes. Scientific tests have shown that even dogs are better than humans at changing behavior. But occasionally the variety of the experiences both I and my husband have had do add to our understanding of some aspects of life.

The case in point is the young lady who just received her diploma from Harvard. Even before she matriculated my husband and I told her that it would be wise and beneficial if she took advantage of the wide variety of courses available. We advised her to look beyond her concentration to access other ideas. Well, naturally she paid no attention to us, at least not until her very last semester when she took a course on James Joyce. We took her out to lunch last weekend and she just bubbled over talking about that course and finished by saying, "It was the single best course I took at Harvard." The worst part about her dilatory decision is that taking "the best course" last is that it might have made the rest of the work more bearable if she had taken it earlier and followed up with other similar courses. Who knows what might have happened if she had looked outside that little tunnel that she dug for herself?

No comments:

Post a Comment