Monday, July 20, 2015

The Problem With German Cars III

I had to take my car down to the dealer today. The warning light for a locked steering wheel kept coming on, meaning that the ignition would not work. Luckily this happened when the car was parked and off anyway rather than driving down the freeway (which it could have been), but it was still a total pain in the neck. Please understand that the car was always parked on a flat surface, not outside on a hill, sometimes in my garage, and sometimes at the grocery store or the gym so there wasn't any reason for the wheel to lock. Anyway, this was not the first time this had happened so I more or less knew what was up, but when I took it in this morning the technician told me that BMW had learned that this was a safety hazard (no kidding) and had changed the design. Well now my car is getting its third steering column in 42,000 miles because BMW screwed up originally. I am already planning to purchase a new car but this is getting ridiculous since I have to make sure that everything works before I sell it or trade it in.

Fine German engineering is an advertising slogan not a fact of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment