Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Center Section Finished (Well, Not Quite)

As I wrote before, I purchased nine antique blocks but not all of them were in good enough shape to use in toto. So I cannibalized one of them and ended up with eight useable blocks for this quilt. The problem now is that I have to figure out how to make this long narrow shape into something a little closer to the regular shape of a quilt since this is just too narrow.

If you have read other postings then you know I am old fashioned in my quilt tastes. I like this so far but I have to figure out where to go from here. Uneven borders were common back in the day, but this would need some major unevenness.

Update: So I was arguing with myself after I posted the above about where I would go next with this quilt. I decided that I am neither clever nor talented enough to make a long skinny section look balanced so I am going to take this apart and turn it into a 3 x 3 quilt rather than a 2 x 4 quilt. That means I not only have to unpick some of these seams but I have to make a new block to be the center block. I have chosen a design that will allow me to use the fabrics of the sashing that are also very old-fashioned.  I will make a few more sashing pieces as well to make everything fit together appropriately. This will take a few days so look for more posts later.

No comments:

Post a Comment