Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Aargh!

I will warn everyone right now that this post is not about quilting. It's about teeth, specifically my teeth. I have reasonably healthy roots and gums and virtually no cavities, but because of my age and my problem with teeth grinding and clenching I have worn my poor teeth down to a point where they need some serious attention. Even with my nightguard I had damaged my teeth. This is exacerbated by the problem most older people have of teeth shifting in the gums leading to stuff getting stuck and misalignment. I went to the dentist on Monday just for a cleaning. I go four times a year instead of the usual two because a periodontist I went to recommended that and I do like to keep my teeth clean.

Anyway, I asked the hygienist what I could do about my two front teeth beginning to squeeze together to the point where I couldn't even floss. She suggested I get some invisaligners but said that the dentist should come look and evaluate to make a suggestion. The dentist said the invisaligners would not solve the problem because my teeth were too worn down for the impact to be beneficial. To her that meant that I needed to have a massive intervention of a dozen crowns--six on the top and six on the bottom. This was projected to cost $20K.  Now that's a lot of money and the idea came from a dentist that I have seen three times in toto, no single encounter lasting more than five minutes.

So when I got back home, I called my former Utah dentist's office. I went to him for more than two decades from the time he graduated from dental school until 18 months ago. I was friendly with all of his staff, even making three of them quilts for their babies. I also knew him to be a superior dentist with a very high degree of honesty and ethics. Plus he clearly knew my teeth. I asked him to evaluate the plan given to me by my current provider and to make a proposal himself. My sons still live in SLC and I can stay with one of them while undergoing this extensive treatment. His plan will cost approximately $8K. That's still a lot of money but I feel far more comfortable with his evaluation than with the new dentist. So toward the end of the summer I will go to Utah, sit in a dentist's chair for hours and hours and come back to Pennsylvania with a whole new smile.

The best news is that I can take the opportunity to go to Quilts, Etc. which is one of the best and biggest quilt stores in the country. I went to a fairly big quilt store in NJ last weekend but as good as it was (Olde City Quilts in Burlington), it just isn't Quilts, Etc.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success..
    dentist near me

    ReplyDelete