Sunday, February 18, 2018

Good Reads

I am a reader. I have been a reader my entire life. I don't remember not being able to read and there is a famous family story of my mother having me read the New York Times to her sisters when I was two. That doesn't mean that everything I read is memorable or good. Like most people I have some low tastes but even in my low tastes I refuse to reread writers I find moronic. So I don't read any Mary Higgins Clark even though she has made millions of dollars appealing to her coterie of readers.

Currently my husband and I have been reading mysteries set in France by Martin Walker. His "Bruno" series is not only charming but informative. I also recently finished a book Meetings With Remarkable Manuscripts, by Christoper de Hamel. Mr. de Hamel is a paleographer and the book introduces the reader to a plethora of remarkable manuscripts, in the classic definition, from the eighth century, to the final manuscript in the 16th century. De Hamel introduces these books as friends the reader should meet. Remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment