Thursday, July 16, 2015

Misgivings

Amazon has been sending me solicitations to buy the new book from the American Museum of Folk Art--Red and White Quilts, Infinite Variety. I saw that particular show a few years ago and I was underwhelmed. I also had serious issues with the last book that Elizabeth Vogel Warren and the museum produced. It had lovely pictures but the didactic text was lacking in what I think of as essential information such as the dimensions of the quilt, the type of fabric used, possible name of maker,  the possible location of its manufacture, etc. Besides those quibbles, I already own two books, the original comprehensive volume, "Glorious American Quilts",  and the Masterworks volume from the museum that was so disappointing, so  the quilts in the new book must be included. Certainly the ones I viewed at the red and white exhibit are all in the books I already have.I doubt this new book is worth its hefty price tag.You'd be better advised to look for a used copy of "Glorious American Quilts" although it isn't even the quilt collection book I like best. That would be last year's book about the Williamsburg Collection, Four Centuries of Quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment