Monday, July 21, 2014

Begin Again Finnegan II

I finished the picking apart, new applique, realignment of blocks, etc. This square size (52 inches so far), makes it easier for me to design something for the next go round. I think it needs a smaller border before the outer border, probably something simple like strips of the reproduction fabrics, although some research has shown me that flying geese and dogtooth or feathered strips were common, too. Research also shows that antique quilt makers were more likely to add more in ways that modern eyes might see as intrusive to the design.



The previous iteration was 2 x 4 and the difference between width and length bothered me.


The center block has that enticing inner square so I am thinking about inking an inscription. It will probably be "Anonymous Was A Woman" since I have few clues about who made the original blocks. I suspect more than one person as the stitches varied widely, some small, evenly spaced, professional looking, while some were almost toenail catchers they were so big. There were three different colors of thread in the applique but that could simply have been a matter of supply. The applique varied in quality as much as the stitching did. Some of the blocks were so skewed they looked as though a child had made them. Even if I hadn't had to remove parts that were worn to the point of having holes, I  had to cannibalize one of the blocks to get these to where they at least looked symmetrical even though they aren't.

Despite all the flaws and my own stupidity at not thinking this out ahead of time, I think it is looking good. You can compare this to the first version and let me know--not that at this point I would change it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment