Thursday, July 10, 2014

Appliqued Sashing

The most common type of sashing is a simple strip of contrasting fabric with the next most common being a simple pieced design. I considered both of those for this restoration/reproduction project and drew out a flying geese sash as an option. But I also drew out an appliqued sashing, one that uses the reproduction fabrics since I clearly could not match the antique fabric. I like applique better than piecing as well, both in the process and all along the process including the quilting since quilting over seams is never satisfying.

The fabric behind the antique applique is a piece I bought a decade or more ago so I not only have no more, I cannot get more. The sashing, and the border that I will also add, are just Kona cotton in a similar ivory color. The design is one that was used often in the time period of the applique pieces (1840-1860),but the border that will go beyond what is here will be my design, based on ideas from all over the place.

I bought nine of the antique applique blocks, saved a total of eight of them cannibalizing the ninth to repair the most worn areas. The blocks are now 16 inch squares (15.5 finished size) so with a 2 x 4 layout, sashing, and border the finished quilt will be pretty big, at least a large twin size. I think it is looking nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment