Sunday, July 28, 2013

Close ups of Paradise Lost Border with Details

Here is Paradise Lost again. I want to focus on some of the details of the quilt and give you a pattern of sorts to consider. When I made this quilt, about four years ago, I was trying desperately not to purchase any more fabric since I had so much that more seemed like a character flaw not a design opportunity. So all of the fabrics were already in my stash. I adapted the borders from Delectable Pathways, by Mary Sorensen & Cindy Blackberg.
This is one of the three birds on the quilt, this one sitting above midway on the left border. Although it is a little difficult to see, the black material for the wings, head,  and tail was chosen for its featherlike qualities.
This is the pattern for that bird. His mate on the right border is simply reversed. If you look carefully you can see the grid on which I draw out the patterns. One inch graph paper is readily available at office supply stores and comes in big pads with tearaway sheets.

 Most of the quilts I make have a dragonfly on them somewhere. This one has Dupioni silk wings with embroidered details added. The flower on the right has a reverse applique center, embroidered details, and circles cut out with a hole punch.
 This insect is one of my favorites. I call it a ladywing though I don't know the real name. I love the delicate look of it and the way it camouflages into the stem on which it sits.
The large flower was very bland until I added the embroider over the navy blue fabric.The moth with his feathery antennae and the small caterpillar are fun touches.

No comments:

Post a Comment