Monday, October 7, 2019

Basting Finished

There aren't any new photos but I did finish the basting on the new project. I did not have a house full of cats the last time I made an Amish style quilt. Even though they didn't really hang around, the quilt still ended up with cat hair all over.

Speaking of cats, my two older gentlemen cats had their 6 month senior wellness exams. The slightly older cat, Tom, my mock Siamese, was perfect, but poor Barney showed signs of thyroid issues. I had asked for a blood test because he was drinking more, peeing more, and complaining more. I have no doubt this is the beginning of the end but other than some small problems he is fine for now. George Carlin said something along the lines of "All new pets are simply a tragedy in the wings."

My older dog also had some indications of an increase in his heart murmur problems but he is so old that he might die before those problems become in any way actionable.

In addition to the pet news, a good friend from Utah emailed me that he has been getting treatment for multiple myeloma. These days cancer treatments are far more advanced but it is always a crap shoot.  When my husband's roommate died of a sudden heart attack while hiking in Alaska this year, the other roommates objected to me characterizing that as the perfect way to die. Having seen so many of my friends and relatives die in ways that are neither as clean nor as easy as a sudden heart attack, especially my sister who was more or less a lab rat in a hospital where they broke her arm and her hip and surgically repaired both even though they knew she was going to die sooner rather than later, I know that if I have any control over the process I would choose sudden heart attack.

4 comments:

  1. A sudden heart attack seems kinder (to me) and more humane than slowly wasting away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. My mother had Alzheimer's and breast cancer and a slow termination. My brother , of course has early onset Alzheimer's and now prostate cancer. I would much prefer a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have always been called blunt and sometimes been called rude so the roommates' comments roll off my back, but quick with little pain seems much better. This thread could even stand for a advanced directive--no extraordinary measures for me.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you...fast and preferably doing something you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete