Sunday, December 23, 2018

Making Danish and Pie

This morning has been devoted to baking or preparing to bake. My husband helped with baking an apple pie. He always peels and slices while I make the pie crust. He laughed because last night our youngest son, the professional chef, called to ask for the flour to fat ratio of the pie crust. I also started the process of making Danish. (Perhaps it isn't capitalized when it's pastry.) This is the first Christmas in a long time that I haven't had a young person helping with the dough.

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer about two weeks ago. After a series of scans and consultations, he has started the process of treatment that ultimately leads to five weeks of daily radiation therapy. So far there are no known metastases as all the scans were clear. His older brother died of an aggressive form of prostate cancer several years ago but that does not seem to be the type he has. Fingers crossed everyone is right.

I am working on a paper pieced quilt that I hope to machine quilt. The arm issues about which I wrote in my last entry make hand quilting more painful and since this is a pieced quilt I thought I would try machine sewing. I will let you know how all that works out.

3 comments:

  1. first of all, you're making me hungry. I hope your husband is doing well. My brother (who I take care of) was diagnosed with the same in March. He does not have any symptoms. He's had two biopsies since and we are in a watch/wait stage which I understand is quite common. It's awkward cause we are siblings but- ya gotta do what ya gotta do. He has epilepsy and early Alzheimers but totally functioning still so I'm lucky there. The fear of the unkown is worse sometimes. I pray you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have already sent Christmas wishes to Mary with whom I share emails but to all and sundry--Merry Christmas. Despite Trump, Christmas is not a time for rancor or fear but a time of trust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear the cancer news. That stinks! Thinking of you both as you work through this-and you will get through it.

    ReplyDelete