Sunday, August 1, 2021

 Okay, I know that most people who read any of these blogs are female so I want to know what any of you think of Kevin McCarthy's quip from yesterday:

"I want you to watch Nancy Pelosi hand me that gavel. It will be hard not to hit her with it," McCarthy said in audio posted."

What do you think about this guy as Speaker of the House? I don't care what you think about his politics but how do you defend a man who wants to beat a woman, an 81 year old woman, with a gavel? Do you think it is funny to joke about beating women for any reason let alone for some sort of political advantage? Does it matter that he was joking or is that unacceptable in any way shape or form? If it garners votes for him it says far more about his voting base than it does about Pelosi. Add to that the threats that audio captured during the January 6 insurrection attempt and this "joke" is even more of a threat than it would have been at any other time. Too bad Baptist McCarthy is a "souper". If you don't know what that means you should look it up.

Violence against women is neither funny nor something to joke about. Violence is not a laughing matter at any time.When I lived in California, I had multiple opportunities over the 9 years to vote for Pelosi and Boxer but I never did. Neither would I ever joke about beating someone with a wooden hammer.

3 comments:

  1. It is a sign of the times. We no longer have civility, decorum and common courtesy as part of our public presence. Its a shame. I doubt seriously if we will ever return to a society that works together toward a common goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and reading comments about his remark it's obvious that his cohort find his statement hysterically funny and appropriate. I guess we won't be hearing an abject apology any time soon.

      Delete
  2. American misogyny may have been toned down here and there but it's still alive and well. Making a joke of inappropriate comments and getting support from peers...just another way to keep it alive and remind women they really don't deserve respect.

    ReplyDelete