Tuesday, May 4, 2021

 Besides the transient and temporary brain fog caused by the vaccine shot for a few days, this top made several demands on me. While the background fabric is not the normal type, it is still quite neutral. However, it had all those nice rows of double dots against the pale grey and they were very straight, demanding very accurate sewing. That isn't a huge problem until you start adding borders since setting separate elements apart with a different fabric can prevent any bad matches. But the mitered corners did make a difference. 


On top of that, not all of the choices I made ended up in the finished top. I changed the color of the inner strip several times. I also changed it from a scalloped edge (the first iteration was wider) to a narrow straight strip. Then when I tried to add some pieced borders they didn't suit my fancy at all. So I sewed and I picked out stitches several times, ultimately coming up with this.


 Comparing this now layered, marked, ready to be quilted top to what it was, I already know that this nice black floral is the right choice even if not all of the colors of the flowers are repeated. I am considering scalloping that outside edge but that decision doesn't need to  happen until the whole top is quilted since that marking and cutting happens at the end. My only reservation has to do with using this as a wall hanging because scalloped edges can be a little floppy.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice. Traditional flavor but with a modern flair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne. I thought of you recently when I saw a new Amex commercial about the wife finally allowing the husband to pursue his rock star dreams.

      Delete
  2. While looking for a particular book (not found) I opened a box of quilting books and took some time browsing. Came across a book by Helga Curtis,entitled Flowers of the Bible (published 2003 by House of White Birches, ISBN 1-59217-012-9).
    Her block designs remind me of Baltimore Album blocks that have been simplified to a single flower.
    I thought you might find it interesting should you be looking for a floral variation for a new project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I should be finishing the quilting on the new project tomorrow or Thursday so it will be time to look forward.

      Delete