Thursday, September 10, 2020

 This is the very first quilt top I have ever made for which I had no firm idea when I started. I am not saying that I have never made changes in a project, but that even visualizing this was difficult because the color choices were unusual. Add to that the idea that I didn't pick the blocks or the layout prior to beginning and you get the idea. Then even after beginning this I had misgivings that nearly sank the project, and then my husband accidentally threw away one small piece of thirty year old fabric that I was using for accents. Even though I am definitely not a quitter, you can imagine that I am relieved that this has come so far and that I even like it.

 

I have made quilts I did not like before. Usually these were commissioned pieces whose design and color were the choice of the person paying the price. I find it difficult to work on a project I don't like but sometimes when one is paid to do the job, one puts up with the inconvenience. But this project ended up being very weird yet strangely compelling as well so I am perfectly happy to call it "My Funny Valentine." This is just the top, no quilting, no layering, no batting as yet. The sashing is one of the more unusual choices. The four bird, heart, and rose corner blocks are the only blocks that have much color besides black and pink although some of the black fabrics are very small flower prints and the lyre block has the rust colored lyre and yellow tulips.

 


 

4 comments:

  1. Lovely top but a great deal of work, especially when you aren't sure you're going to like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being in quarantine for six months means I am doing many activities I wouldn't ordinarily choose.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The only time I enjoy cleaning is when I am really angry. These days that's an easy state to be in.

      (https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/politics/michael-caputo-coronavirus-sedition-election/index.html).

      Why isn't that guy receiving the mental health treatment he clearly needs?

      Delete