Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Some Progress


Hand quilting can be fun or it can be boring. Sometimes it's almost meditative but the current quilt hasn't reached that point yet. My mind has been wandering as I sew along thinking about our two remodels (best not to think about those), the animus toward the US shown by Trump (best not to think about that), what project I will work on next--that's worth thinking about.

I have several ideas flitting around in my brain and in my mind's eye. One is to use a previously completed single feathered star block as the center of a quilt that uses a diagonal block set put into a background of improved 9-patch that then has a floral applique or broderie perse border. Another idea is to make a bunch of bright red and yellow feathered star blocks and make a real eye catching border for that.

An idea that has been bumping along is to utilize some blocks that I got at an estate sale to do something. The problems with those are two-fold--the blocks are a real mishmash of old-fashioned blocks--some lady of the lake, some coffee cups, some crazy patch--just a real mishmash. The other problem is that these are all in small calico prints of a type that was used at least 30 years ago in colors that were also popular then. They are beautifully made, all hand sewn, but apart from the 21 lady of the lake blocks, most are not the same size even if they use the same fabrics. And even when they use the same fabrics, the blocks don't fit together so I don't know what the original intent was.  I bought them because I didn't want them to get thrown out but now I have someone else's UFOs at my house.

Perhaps you are more gifted than I. I like some but not all of the blocks--I am particularly fond of the one with the real jeans pocket and can see that as part of a child's quilt--and I like the coffee cups though coming from Utah they are more likely to be hot chocolate cups. Anyway if someone out there has a brilliant use for these, I am sure we can figure out a way to send them to you. They only cost me $5 in toto so far so any postage or shipping charges would hardly break the bank.

And welcome to the person who subscribed to my very limited number of YouTube videos. 


1 comment:

  1. I had a bunch of random quilt blocks and I ended up turning them into hot pads and giving them away.

    ReplyDelete